Friday, April 20, 2012

Godspeed


My mind has been stuck in space. I think I'll be writing about it a lot in the coming weeks. I just finished collaborating (my first time doing so) with a DeviantArt friend of mine on a poem about space. I'm really pleased with how it turned out and I'd like to share it with you.

If you have the time, I encourage you to check out her gallery. Her name is Baylee, but she goes by hhesitate. She's quite the prolific artist/writer. You may find her gallery here: http://hhesitate.deviantart.com/ Please do not stalk her. (seriously)

Poem.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Godspeed

sometimes i pretend i'm a dragonfly -
skimming across a pond 
at midnight, 

seeing things
all as a reflection,
and i'm not alone between the stars

deluded
prying open my consoles
convinced
if i can eat all the wires
i'll become a machine and not need air
and open all the windows
of my little ship to purge the oxygen
from my skin, a quiet and 
translucent burden

i swear,
if i see one more
violent,
violet,
haunting-my-dreams
nebula
i'll open all the windows
and float on home:

(after all
my heart
is just an engine
made from the remnants
of a dying star)

sometimes
when i know no one
is watching, i'll turn on the speakers
spewing static and subsonic waves,
and interpret solar radiation
as sound, surrounding everything 
with the voices of old gods
the billions and billions
of old gods

which is silly, because i'm the only soul out here, after all

give my apologies to the engineer
who built my little ship;
i'm afraid he won't want it when i return
as i've drawn all over it, you see,
images leaking from my head 
where the cosmos have bent away
refracted dust and starlight
creeping from the windows
like curling frost
or cracks, chasing one another, 
godspeed 

i think the astronauts have
made a mistake: it's more lively up here 
than any average day on the sun-soaked earth,
even if the craters and comets aren't alive, anyway:
if dust fades to dust, and if dust 
is what was and what will be, 
i've fallen further for it than anything else
(even if i am miles and miles and light years high)
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

There you have it, post number eight. (approach with trepidation)

No comments:

Post a Comment