Friday, April 27, 2012

The Basilisk Project

I had this idea for a writing exercise. 


I take a song, probably one I don't already know very well, so I don't have images or memories attached to it. I listen to the song a few times, figure out what I think it's about and chew on the images it conjures for a bit. Once that's done, I'll put pen to paper and write out a short story based off of what I've imagined.


I call it The Basilisk Project. I'm not really sure why, something about turning to stone, I'm sure. Either way, the name came to me in a dream, and it's not terribly important. I'll try to churn out at least a page's worth of this writing for any given song, and post them here for your enjoyment. 


Songs that work for this are kind of hard to come by. They can't be too oblique with what they're saying, but can't be too vague, or nothing comes to mind. Instrumentals work great, but tend to lead to more fantastic and longer stories with me. If you have suggestions, please let me know.


In the mean time, tune in around noon for the first episode of The Basilisk Project.


There you have it, post number nine. (approach with trepidation)

No comments:

Post a Comment